Skip to main content

Family update (April 2020)


Family update (April 2020)
Living through the Corona Virus (apocalypse) Epidemic

With all that happened to our family during 2019 (really the tail end of 2019), I think we expected the new year to be much better. We anticipated a fresh start to feeling on top of things, improving our lives, starting new adventures. Then March 2020 rolled around and was like- “ha, smack in the face, let’s start some chaos.”

To give it some credit, the year didn’t start out too bad. I became determined to get healthier and get my body back into shape and feeling better, (like how about feeling like I’m 28 not 54…) So, beginning in January I started exercising at least 3 times a week, and eating a healthier diet. I have lost about 6 to 7 lbs. so far! (Although I’m sure I’ve gained it all back with stress from the stupid corona virus and being quarantined with a house full of freaking food) I’ve been proud of myself, though I still have a long way to go.

Another good thing is that our girls have been behaving a bit better and are becoming more independent, specifically Lyra, which is a blessing. She isn’t clinging to me quite as much and is willing to play with friends or at a play place on her own, or with Aria. She’s makin’ progress! Ha-ha
Probably the biggest blessing so far of 2020 for me personally, is that my mental health has been improving, a lot. Keith’s has been as well. And although it is quite the challenge to have both of us struggling with our mental health at the same time, it is forcing us to be open and honest with each other, and I think (and hope and pray) that it is bringing us closer together as husband and wife. To see each other struggle so immensely is so hard, but it allows us both to have sympathy and empathy for each other, and to realize we both have raw and valid feelings, feelings that shouldn’t just be ignored or buried.

OK, so on to the beginning of the disaster of 2020.

In all honesty, we are truly, truly blessed and we don’t really have things that difficult at all. So, I feel like I should mention how lucky we are. There are so many others around us and around the country and the world who have things so much worse, whose circumstances are so much more disastrous or who’s futures are much more bleak. I am so so grateful that Keith still has a good job, that can carry us financially, and one that can continue miraculously through the summer. I am grateful we have the technology that we do, so we can use it to keep us entertained and connected to those we love. (It sure saves my butt when I start to lose it and need my kids to be occupied for a bit!) I am grateful we have a nice beautiful home to live in, that is clean and warm and shelters us from everything outside. I am grateful to have so many friends and family around, even if we can’t really see them or be with them right now. I am grateful for our little family and our kitty, and that we get to be together through all this craziness. I am especially grateful for the gospel in our lives and our loving heavenly father and savior, and the continuous power of prayer.

Now, here’s where we reside in real life. Stuck at home all together due to the official ‘stay home, stay safe’ suggestion given by our governor. In reality everyone staying home is the best way to slow the spread of the Covid-19 virus. Here in Utah, the virus isn’t as widespread as it is in some states, so we aren’t on complete lockdown, like New York, California, Illinois, and more. We are all just praying that we have flattened the curve enough to make a difference here.
The world is basically a very scary place to be right now. There is a lot of uncertainty, unknown outcomes, a lot of sadness and disbelief, and grief over many things. I am honestly grateful our kids are younger, and don’t fully realize what is going on outside our little home. I am grateful that right now, they aren’t feeling as scared as some kids are other places.

We are trying to do what we can to follow guidelines put out there by the CDC and doctors and leaders. We are washing our hands lots and using hand sanitizer when necessary (like when Lyra refuses to wash her hands with regular soap and water…good grief). And we are staying home, only going out for essentials. And maybe going out to get yummy food off and on, to have an excuse to get out of the house, even if its just for a few minutes and we can only stay in our freaking car.

It’s also been a new experience to homeschool Aria. Fortunately, she is only in Kindergarten, so the work thus far has been pretty easy and uncomplicated. And I am so glad I only have one kid to worry about homeschooling! Bless all you other parents out there having to juggle like 3 different grades… eeehhhh. I definitely could not homeschool full time. Like its definitely not my thing. I knew I never wanted to do it before, and that has only been reaffirmed to me ha-ha. Basically- praise all the teachers out there. They are true saints, and life savors and so amazingingly gifted to be able and willing to teach our children. Everyone has been saying this the last two or three weeks since we’ve all had to homeschool, but teachers definitely deserve a raise. Like seriously. I think we all have a new appreciation for teachers. As of right now, school will be continued at home, through online learning until May 1st. We will see if they will go back after that. However, I am not very confident that they will. We will most likely finish this school year off online. I feel bad because that’s not exactly the kindergarten experience I thought or wanted Aria to have. However, she seems to not see it as a sad thing so far ha-ha. These little kids we are raising right now are so strong and resilient though. I see it in my own kids and their ability and desire to want to learn more and keep going even when things are hard. They don’t have that voice in their heads (too much) yet that tells them to give up.

This will be a time to remember, one for the books. We will remember all the funny things that have happened due to the pandemic, like toilet paper hoarding and shortages, and all the funny memes and videos that are constantly posted online that help all of us get through the long days and nights stuck at home. We will also remember all the fear and grief that was felt, and the constant uncertainty of what’s going to happen next, or how bad things will get. I also think we will strongly remember all those who have stepped up to help during this terrible crisis, namely all the doctors, nurses and other essential medical workers, first responders, cleaners, and deliverers, everyone who has constantly put their lives on the line to help others. These people are exposing themselves (sometimes directly to the covid-10 virus) every day to help take care of the rest of us and our needs, whether critical or not. They are the true heroes of this time. I pray that we never forget.
For now, we are getting though this, and trying to remain strong. It is super hard for me to do social distancing, to not be able to get out and go to random stores or restaurants or go visit family and friends. It is somewhat very lonely and maddening at times (particularly for us extroverts ha-ha. Keith is an introvert and is basically loving this…like Hun this isn’t going to be a permanent thing…lol). And though I love them with every fiber of my being, my kids don’t know what social distancing means-they are definitely not following the stay 6 feet away from others rule-and them constantly being on top of me is making me a bit nuts. However, we will survive. March was nuts, we will see what April brings us.

Oh. I forgot to mention Utah also had a 5.7 earthquake last week, or the week before, I honestly can’t remember, the days are all becoming a blur… Anyways, like what the crap Utah! The epicenter was in Magna, so further south of us, but it was intense enough that we felt some good shaking up here in Logan. It was the first earthquake Keith and I have ever truly felt, and it was a bit unnerving. Even though we were barely awake to realize what was exactly happening haha. It hit at like 7:09 in the morning, so most of us were still in bed or just waking up and getting ready for the day. Keith and I thought each other was shaking the bed and were silently trying to figure out what the heck the other was doing. And the girls were just waking up and Lyra thought Aria was shaking her bed, and was telling her sleepily to stop it, according to Aria hahaha. Aria seemed to know it was an earthquake in the moment, but it didn’t seem to really scare her, which I am grateful for. That girl has enough anxiety as it is for a 6-year-old. Anyway, I have been slowly working on updating our 72-hour kits and making sure we have things on hand that we need. Which is difficult because stores run out of essential things quickly. So yeah, how about we slow the crazy down a bit huh? That would be nice.

May the odds be ever in our favor…. 😊






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newest update!

It has been way too long since I posted an update. Sorry for that; with all that’s been going on with us, I made the decision to not be on social media as much to help my mental health. But I know that’s left people wondering how we are doing. It’s been a pretty hard and depressing time, and so I have kind of kept to myself and my family the last little while.  What a rollercoaster the last half a year has been for me and my little family. Getting a cancer diagnosis is such a scary thing. It’s also very frustrating and emotional and confusing. There is so much that is now known about Leukemia, but also so much that is still unknown. And there is not a 100% guarantee that my cancer won’t come back. I’m working on coming to terms with that. I am attempting to invest all my time in to make sure I’m living my best life in the present moment. This is hard to do, and to be honest most days the last few months I’ve been in pure survival mode. I’ve been lucky if I can get out of bed in t...

Accepting

I've decided that I must have been over confident in heaven about accepting all the different trials I was going to have to face here on earth. I must have somehow known that I would be able to get through them. Because man I've already been through so much in my 31 years of life. And I tell you what; after being diagnosed with Leukemia, I'll be honest and say that I hope I don't have any more big surprise trials for at least a little while. I think I need a get out of trials free card or something.  I was listening to music as I was walking the halls of the hospital the other day. I created a play list that has empowering songs that I can listen to while I go through this difficult and often draining time. The song Brave by Sara Bareilles started playing. For those of you who don't know, the song is about being brave enough to speak your mind, brave enough to be seen and heard by a world that doesn't always want you to be. I kind of took in the lyrics of the so...